The secret to lose weight is to choose healthy foods and take in fewer calories than you burn. It’s just easier to make better food choices in summertime, when heavy, high-calories dishes seem less appealing. The best food for weight loss in summer are light, refreshing, and most important, keep you out of the hot kitchen.
Here are dietitians’ pick for some of the best foods to help with weight loss during summer.
Cold soups are most favorite as low-calorie dishes. Chilled soups like gazpacho or cucumber-dill that contain lots of chunky vegetables are a great way to start a meal. Research showed that a low-calorie, broth-based soup at the beginning of meal will fill you so you eat less at the meal.
For Dawn Jackson Blatner, RD, a plate of grilled vegetables is a summertime must-have. She recommends keeping a plate of grilled onions, bell peppers, zucchini, carrots, eggplant, asparagus, and garlic in your fridge. You can use them to make dishes like:
- Grilled vegetable and goat cheese salads
- Grilled vegetable pitas
- Grilled vegetable, ricotta, and fresh herb pasta and frittatas
Low and No Calories Beverages
Beverages can be the Achilles heel during summertime because we need to drink lots of liquids to stay cool, but liquids quench thirst and don’t usually impact our hunger. Several beverages you mya choose include:
- Root Beer or Orange Dream Float. 1/2 cup vanilla frozen yogurt in 12 ounces of diet root beer or orange soda (100 calories)
- Tart Lemon Pom Spritzer. 12 ounces of lemon sparkling water mixed with the juice of 1 lemon and 1/4 cup pomegranate juice, served over ice (35 calories)
- White Wine Spritzer. 5 ounces white wine mixed with 3 ounces lemon/lime seltzer water (120 calories)
- Grilled banana sundaes made with low-fat ice cream
- Grilled pineapple with rum and pecans
- Grilled white peaches with blackberries and honey
- Frozen, dark, sweet cherries
- A chocolate-covered frozen banana
- Frozen grapes