The term ‘Bulimia’ refers to episodes of uncontrolled excessive eating, known as “binges,” followed by self-induced vomiting or purgation, like mentioned before what bulimia is. Though bulimia and anorexia both are eating disorder, but the symptoms look quite different. Here the list of the symptoms.
Binge eating signs and symptoms
* Lack of control over eating – Inability to stop eating. Eating until the point of physical discomfort and pain.
* Secrecy surrounding eating – Going to the kitchen after everyone else has gone to bed. Going out alone on unexpected food runs. Wanting to eat in privacy.
* Eating unusually large amounts of food with no obvious change in weight.
* Disappearance of food, numerous empty wrappers or food containers in the garbage, or hidden stashes of junk food.
* Alternating between overeating and fasting – Rarely eats normal meals. It’s all-or-nothing when it comes to food.
Purging signs and symptoms
* Going to the bathroom after meals – Frequently disappears after meals or takes a trip to the bathroom to throw up. May run the water to disguise sounds of vomiting.
* Using laxatives, diuretics, or enemas after eating. May also take diet pills to curb appetite or use the sauna to “sweat out” water weight.
* Smell of vomit – The bathroom or the person may smell like vomit. They may try to cover up the smell with mouthwash, perfume, air freshener, gum, or mints.
* Excessive exercising – Works out strenuously, especially after eating. Typical activities include high-intensity calorie burners such as running or aerobics.
Physical signs and symptoms of bulimia
* Calluses or scars on the knuckles or hands from sticking fingers down the throat to induce vomiting.
* Puffy “chipmunk” cheeks caused by repeated vomiting.
* Discolored teeth from exposure to stomach acid when throwing up. May look yellow, ragged, or clear.
* Not underweight – Men and women with bulimia are usually normal weight or slightly overweight. Being underweight while purging might indicate a purging type of anorexia
* Frequent fluctuations in weight – Weight may fluctuate by 10 pounds or more due to alternating episodes of bingeing and purging.